Thursday, November 26, 2009

Sketchbook 1999

I kept sketching into 1999.

Layton High owns a real skeleton. I used to borrow it for a lesson on Archeology, but that was when I was young. I had started reading Robert Beverly Hale by 99. He recommends studying real bones – so, when the Biology classes weren’t using it, I kept it in my office. I made a series of sketches of the shoulder girdle.
















Kamille intorduced her class to Edward Fraughten, a great sculptor who runs a foundry in West Jordan. He made the portrait bust for Ronald Reagan. I sat in his office and he told us how the University of Utah had offered him a job. He was excited thinking they wanted him to teach sculpture, instead they asked him to teaching casting. He wasn’t a real artist according to their opinion. He has two figures at the Railroad Museum at the Union Station in Ogden. One is of an Irishman, one Chinese. I went there to make some sketches. I had folks with me, and therefore not enough time. I’ll try again.




Spring came and the ducks, geese, swans, and I returned to Layton City Park.






Summer came, and we were off to Cherry Valley. I was determined to do a sketch a day. I did one all summer, this of a giant thistle. We called the Island conservancy and they came and killed it. They were very nasty to “invasive” species out there.
.

Fall found me back at the Layton City Park.









A visit to the Zoo brought a chance to sketch from life.



.
A winter Vistit bought me indoors, sketching in the Reptile House. A visit to the Zoo brought a chance to sketch from life.


I got a little sculpture of a dodo for Christmas. I made a sketched it the next day. I made some Watercolors as well.
.
.
A bolo tie carving by Phil Koldervyn.
.
.
A toy frog.

.
Here I tried another toy, one of my wife’s dolls. She makes good money with her art.
.
.
A good friend in Japan sent this doll to my mother. It stood in my father’s house for years, and then for years in my class room. There I tried sketching it.
.


Over President’s Day Trent, Jody, and I went to California to interview for Cherry Valley staff members. I tried sketching Trent as we waited for out plane home. It reminded me how little I knew about anatomy.

.
Back home I made a sketch from the skeleton. I often wished the Resurrection would come while I was drawing him, I would like to see what he looked like. The quote that fills the page is from Kippling's Kim


Spring and summer came and went, and we had a family reunion in California. I found some time for sketching, not much.


No comments: